Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday morning eggs

I may not be a chef yet.. and I may not be an extroardinary cook yet either; but I know how to poach a damn egg. It is the one thing I have perfected. I know what it physically takes, I know what is wrong if I happen to murder the egg, and I never need a timer, EVER.

It gets overwhelming, you know, watching Top Chef and Iron Chef America week to week and realizing, 'Oh my god, I don't even know what sweetbreads really are...' and 'How the heck am I supposed to come up with my own signature dish, if I ever want to be a famous TV show host, a la Giada De'Laurentiis?'

At least I can poach an egg. That I can do. And the rest, it will come.

8/31 Monday breakfast- I decided to make a mock eggs benedict with my last whole wheat english muffin, some sliced tomato and avocado, and an emulsion of olive oil, lemon juice, honey and tabasco. And of course, my poached eggs. It was delicious.
BTW, nothing is sexier than breaking into a perfectly poached egg.


8/30 Sunday dinner I had a big salad of romaine, leftover rotisserie turkey breast, strawberries, blueberries, herb goat cheese, celery and balsamic and olive oil. Love, love, love the combination between berries and balsamic.


8/30 Sunday lunch I had chicken salad in lettuce cups with some of my leftover bean stew I made on Friday (stew, or soup, almost always better after a day or two of all the flavors bathing together.)


8/28 Friday dinner- So we had all kinds of nifty beans and local peas and onions from the farmers market a few weeks back and I needed to get rid of it. So I made a soup in the crock pot, which I don't use too often, but I managed. ;)
In it was celery, red potato, dry white beans, fresh purple peas, fresh lady creamer peas, 'noon-day' red onions (must be a Texas thing), and garlic and a variety of spices. It wasn't quite ready by the time I ate dinner unfortunately, but I still ate it. I had a small green salad on the side with turkey and some strawberries and almonds.



8/28 Friday lunch I had canned tuna in a mock tuna nicoise salad, with red potato, celery, tomato, avocado, lemon juice and olive oil. Carrots and a plum on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment