Saturday, September 12, 2009

a yummy week

After I (crosses fingers) successfully complete culinary school, I honestly do not know what I want to do. Obviously after working in the restaurant and catering services, I am aware that it is hard to maintain a healthy outlook and concept of cooking, especially when it is not necessarily a very profitable or popular concept to pursue. Some of the best chefs come out of the Culinary Institute of America, and after watching Top Chef, and Hell's Kitchen, etc; I am not sure I want to be a chef, chef. Yes, I love the restaurant industry. I love the hours, people, camaraderie in the kitchen, pace, etc. I love all of it. I don't know whether or not its my ultimate goal.

I don't think the food I cook for myself does my cooking skills any justice. Dis-including my *poached eggs*, I can honestly tell you that what I showcase here is not my best work. But it is what I enjoy eating. I will say that I try and make it taste the very best it can taste, without adding any processed foods, food additives or non organic meats, etc. I just refuse to add any of that to my food. Hopefully one day, I will be able to practice what I do in my own home, in the restaurant world as well. I guess that is one thing I have to look forward to: the compromising a person does to try and balance out their career with their own personal beliefs and values.

9/11 friday breakfast- This is something I would put on a breakfast menu any day. If you have not experienced a runny egg yolk with some type of bread smothered in honey, you have not experienced heaven on a plate. I love eggs with toast and honey. In this version I toasted a multigrain english muffin and covered it in honey, and added two poached eggs on top. (The yolks must be runny for the full effect!) =) If I were to really jazz it up I might even add a few pieces of turkey bacon right underneath the egg.


9/10 thursday dinner- another chinese chicken salad with napa cabbage, carrot, orange, almonds, peanut soy ginger dressing, and grilled chicken.


9/10 thursday snack- watermelon, canteloupe, blueberries, mint and lemon juice.



9/10 thursday lunch- I used my leftover grilled asparagus and had a soft boiled egg salad on top of the asparagus, spinach, cherry tomatoes, almonds, pecorino romano cheese, drizzled with balsamic and olive oil.
This is what it looked like before, and then I chopped it all up.


9/10 thursday breakfast- I usually eat oatmeal every other day, because I love it so much, and because it's super cheap and good for you. This is one of my favorite versions I make with wheat germ, dried cranberries, coconut, vanilla, and honey.


9/9 wednesday dinner- I found individual pieces of Wild Atlantic salmon at a new health food store I found and I simply grilled it with grilled asparagus and cherry tomatoes.


9/10 wednesday breakfast- I ate a quick breakfast of Nature's Path pumpkin granola/cereal with 1/2 a banana before I had to leave the house that morning.


9/8 tuesday dinner- We had people over for a simple dinner of pasta, sauteed corn from the farmer's market and salad. I grilled myself a piece of chicken so I didn't have to eat the pasta. The corn was good though!


9/8 tuesday lunch- Simple egg salad with a green salad of romaine, black beans and corn and a spicy dressing.


9/7 monday dinner- I had a leftover turkey burger (slightly burnt) with napa cabbage salad and tzatsiki sauce for the burger.


9/7 monday lunch- the last of my tomato soup with a romaine salad with tuna and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment