Thursday, September 17, 2009

oh, breakfast.

I love breakfast. In my humble opinion, it is not only the perfect meal, but it is the perfect meal that can be eaten three times a day. Breakfast is and always will be an American pastime. Like the 4th of July, baseball and pumpkin pie, breakfast shares that same quality that it will and always remain sacred. Amidst all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, heading to the office, gym, Starbucks, school, breakfast gets trampled upon. Glanced over. Forgotten. HOW CAN THAT BE?? Breakfast is my favorite time of day. The fact that the majority of the human race SKIPS breakfast is very disconcerting.

Here in Texas, since I am pretty much the only one awake at the hour of seven or eight am, breakfast is my time to myself. I sit. I drink a cup of coffee. I read. I eat. I drink another cup of coffee. I am blessed with two best friends in Tucson who share the same love of breakfast as me. Three of the things I miss most about Tucson is meeting them for eggs and coffee at Jerry Bobs, drinking a hot Venti Americano at breakfast time at Starbucks, and going out for breakfast with my parents after we finish at the gym.

A lot of breakfasts are also cheap. One of the reasons why I eat oatmeal so often because it costs pennies to make. And it's one of my favorite things.


tuesday 9/15 breakfast- this is another variation of oatmeal I tried making. I added a 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder to the mixture, as well as water, milk, wheat germ, honey and a couple chocolate chips. YUM!


monday 9/14 dinner - salad of arugula, canned tuna, tomato, corn, pecorino romano cheese


monday 9/14 lunch egg salad and raw veggies with salsa.


monday 9/14 breakfast - Fage! Greek yogurt with honey, pumpkin Nature's Path granola, blueberries, cherries and sliced apple and a couple walnut halves chopped on top.


sunday 9/13 dinner- I made cauliflower soup with frozen cauliflower, chicken stock, water, red onion, celery, butter, s & p, a little bit of nutmeg, and a few dallops of sour cream at the end. I fried two eggs to go on the side, because I need my protein!


sunday 9/13 breakfast- Scrambled eggs with stove top roasted spiced sweet potatoes


saturday 9/12 dinner- Greek salad with grilled chicken, cucumber, tomato, romaine, feta and oregano and a few green olives.


saturday 9/12 lunch- chicken salat, raw veggies with salsa


saturday 9/12 breakfast- I made homemade muesli with oats, wheat germ, coconut, cinnamon, almonds and chopped dried apricots. Usually you soak muesli with yogurt over night, but I used non fat milk, which surprisingly worked just fine too. I added fresh fruit in the morning. Another way to use my inexpensive oats!


friday 9/11 dinner- I was home alone that night and I decided to cook up a storm. Literally. It poured like crazy that night, and I even got candles out just in case. It hasn't really stopped raining since that night. I made pesto the old school way using, a mortal and pestle with arugula, spinach, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, lemon zest, s & p, and pecorino romano cheese. I put the pesto in a tuna salad with sun dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, corn and parsley. I made a raw kale salad on the side with lemon juice, olive oil, homemade bread crumbs, garlic salt and pecorino romano cheese.


friday 9/11 lunch- chicken salad with raw veggies and salsa.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree...breakfast is my favorite meal...any time of day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love breakfast too! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I try and mix it up, but oatmeal at least 3 or 4 times a week. :)

    ReplyDelete