Thursday, September 24, 2009

experimental protein pancakes

A few weeks ago I bought an Arrowhead Mills buckwheat pancake mix, because in the small grocery budget that I have access to, I don't buy any flour, sugar or baking products. Psh, why would I anyway? The flippin oven DOESN'T WORK! But, you already knew that.

I was having a pancake craving the other day. I rarely buy pancakes mixes. I grew up eating my mom's homemade whole wheat pancakes, and still to this day, we make all our pancakes from scratch. My mother made me home made blue corn pancakes (I love the fact that Whole Foods carries blue cornmeal) before moving (temporarily) to East Texas. Me+Whole Foods=True Love.

Culinary objective: Make chocolate protein pancakes.

Now, I would have liked to used cocoa powder and chocolate chips, but I'm trying to hold out grocery shopping, so these guys were chocolaty only from the whey protein. They could use another test run, I think less milk or more pancake mix for the ratio of protein I used. They were a little dense, but thin at the same time. Kind of like a crepe. But not very flexible as crepes normally are.

Chocolate Protein Pancakes:
  • 2/3 cup pancake mix (two servings)
  • 3 egg whites, whisked
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 2 tsp safflower oil
  • splash vanilla
  • 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
  • maple syrup or honey for dipping
The pancakes with honey and walnuts for the top.



Naturally, I had a a few leftovers. So I saved them for the next day for Stuffed Chocolate Protein Crepes!

Stuffed Chocolate Protein Crepes:
  • 3 or 4 leftover Chocolate Protein Pancakes
  • 1/3 cup greek yogurt
  • 1/2 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
  • handful frozen cherries
  • PB, granola for topping
I mixed MORE chocolate protein in the yogurt, spread a little on each pancake rolled it up, plated it, topped with the leftover chocolate yogurt, PB and granola. Pretty darn good for having no chocolate chips or cocoa powder. I actually liked the chilled crepe better than the pancake version.



Interesting, no? I think you may have to like the taste of protein powder to like these babies.


Re-reading Twilight in the background. Utter Tuesday morning perfection.




It's time. I need to go grocery shopping. After dinner tonight, I think I'll try and conquer my ongoing fear of Walmart and get some cheap eats. Healthy and tasty nonetheless.


xo, B

No comments:

Post a Comment